PHBS English Lecturer Recruitment
Time：2016-03-11 11:51:50 Hits：Peking University HSBC Business School Description
Peking University HSBC Business School (PHBS) is located in Shenzhen (adjacent to Hong Kong), as part of Peking University Shenzhen Graduate School. PHBS is an international business school offering master’s degrees in economics, finance, and management, as well as MBA. All instruction is provided in English, and students must write their master’s thesis in English. International students currently make up approximately 20% of the student body within these programs. Internationalization of the Shenzhen Graduate School is an active focus with PHBS leading the way.
For many second language (L2) learners, particularly Chinese students, writing in English is most often taught as a function of language learning. Focused mainly on vocabulary building and grammar – usually to prepare students for tests – this approach overlooks the act of writing as communication. Therefore, writing courses at PHBS are designed to broaden second language learners’ whole language skills (listening, reading, speaking, and writing) with a communicative approach to writing emphasizing content development through process writing and peer review. Our overarching aim is to help students improve critical thinking skills to produce successful academic writing and, ultimately, a defensible master’s thesis.
Job Title: Lecturer
Peking University HSBC Business School is currently seeking a lecturer with experience teaching writing in English.
Main Work Responsibilities:
- Provide high quality teaching. The full-time teaching load is six three-credit courses per academic year.
- Support the English Skills Development Center as needed.
- Relevant school services.
Work Location: Shenzhen (Xili University Town), Guangdong Province, China
Work Type: Full-time or part-time
Start Date: Position available to Fall, 2016
Contract: One year, may be extended for longer term
Work Visa/Residence Permit: Provided
Qualifications, in order of importance:
- Master’s degree in English, writing and rhetoric, ESL/EFL, communication, applied linguistics, or related field
- Fluent English speaker
- Previous work and/or study experience in China
- 2+ years of experience teaching writing in the English language
- Experience teaching L2 learners preferred
- Excellent cross-cultural communication skills
- Excellent teaching evidence
Extra Benefits Provided:
- Summer and winter break
- Public medical insurance (government Social Security card) or medical insurance subsidy
- Holiday bonuses
- Transportation subsidy, phone subsidy, newspaper subscription subsidy
- Housing Subsidy
Interested candidates should send a résumé, cover letter, teaching evidence, and three reference letters to: Amy Xing at email@example.com. This position will remain open until filled.